Explosive Devices Trigger Street Closure in Downtown Burlington

click to enlarge

  • Alain Lacroix | Dreamstime

The discovery of explosive devices in Burlington on Sunday afternoon prompted the evacuation of an apartment building and an hours-long closure of Pearl Street.

Police say they responded to 90 Pearl Street around 3:30 p.m. and connected the devices to a 40-year-old resident of the building, Justin Perkins, who was jailed earlier this month after he allegedly brought a homemade pipe bomb to a Colchester job site where he worked.

Multiple state and federal agencies, including the state police bomb squad, responded to the scene in Sunday afternoon. They shut down Pearl Street between South Winooski Avenue and Battery Street. The devices were “safely removed and neutralized,” a press release said. Authorities then searched the rest of the building and told residents around 11 p.m. that they were safe to return to their homes.

It is unclear how many devices were recovered and whether investigators know what Perkins intended to do with them. Police have yet to file charges connected to the incident and did not immediately respond to questions on Monday.

Last week, co-workers told Colchester police that Perkins came by work on August 14 and tried to get them to set off a homemade pipe bomb at a nearby sand pit. He said he had detonated similar devices in the past to clear tree stumps and had been using a military munitions handbook for instructions, witnesses told police.

He eventually put the bomb back into his car and drove off but was later arrested. On Friday, he pleaded not guilty to possession of a destructive device and was ordered held without bail.






Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top