Crime
Tyler Brown appeared to offer little reaction as prosecutors described the shooting spree that left two men with life-threatening injuries.
The Boston man accused of opening fire on a busy stretch of Memorial Drive Monday has pleaded not guilty to assault and firearms charges, appearing in court remotely from his hospital bed.
Tyler Brown, 46, appeared to offer little reaction as prosecutors described the shooting spree that sent motorists running for cover and left two men with life-threatening injuries. Brown himself was shot multiple times in the extremities after he was confronted by a Massachusetts State Police trooper and an armed civilian.
At the time of the shooting, Brown was still on probation for firing several rounds at police officers in the South End in May 2020. Speaking in court Thursday, prosecutors recounted a lengthy criminal history featuring multiple convictions for violent offenses and several out-of-state charges.
Brown, who was previously diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and depression, had just been released from a psychiatric facility the Friday before the shooting, according to court documents. His parole officer contacted Boston police about an hour before the shooting to say that Brown, “a known crack cocaine user,” told him over the phone “that he had relapsed and was ready to end his life,” per the criminal complaint.
Brown allegedly waved a semi-automatic rifle at his parole officer over a FaceTime call and said, “these people are gonna f—ing pay,” and “I’m not going back to prison,” the complaint states. Prosecutors noted that Brown does not have a license to carry firearms.
Authorities pinged Brown’s cellphone and tracked the device to Cambridgeport, arriving soon after gunfire erupted.
Brown allegedly shot two men as they sat in their respective vehicles, identified by family members as Felix, a driver for the MBTA’s The RIDE whose relatives declined to provide a last name, and Casmir Bangoura, a Cambridge resident en route to a car wash.
“One was struck in the back of the head. He has since been treated and released from the hospital,” a prosecutor said in court Thursday. “Another man was shot multiple times, including approximately four times to one leg, which has resulted in serious injuries. He is still currently in the hospital.”
She added: “The last count that I have revealed that there were over 70 discharged ammunition casings located in that area.”
Brown is due back in court May 21.
Sign up for the Today newsletter
Get everything you need to know to start your day, delivered right to your inbox every morning.
